Site Meter

Monday, February 7, 2011

Experiments with Black Shatter: Linear or Scattered crackles, and can you use thinner?

Dear Lacqueristas,

A few weeks ago I posted my tips and tricks on crackle polish. I did some more experimenting in the weeks that past since and I have some new tips and tricks I'd like to share:

Patterns
In my previous post I showed some common patterns. Most of you liked the *Leopard* and the *Turtle* the best.

I would consider these two to be linear designs because their pattern is rather lined up, even and neat. I find those easier to achieve on a base color that is not glass-like smooth. A holographic polish for instance, has more grip and therefore the shatter crackles more evenly.
It also helps to apply a thin to medium thick layer of shatter. The fact is: the thinner the layer, the smaller the pattern.


When the surface of the base color is really smooth, for instance on a jelly or creme, the shatter lacks grip when it shrinks and will leave random or string-like patterns.



You will also get this effect when the base color is not dry enough or when you apply a thick layer of shatter polish.

Can you use thinner in Black Shatter?
The answer is: Yes you can. Black Shatter turns goopy super, super quick. After two manicures my bottle was too goopy to handle. I decided to add some OPI polish thinner and that worked perfectly. It didn't damage the polish and it doens't affect the crackle effect.

I updated my original post on this topic. I am so exited I got so many respons through comments, Tumblr email and Youtube. Thanks all!

Don't forget to enter my Black Shatter Giveaway
Do you want to share your experience or tips with crackle polish? Which pattern do you like best?
Hasta la vista, Lacqueristas!